Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) and Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
The concept of Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (SRS) and Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) is state-of-the-art technology in radiotherapy and is one of the most advanced, sophisticated technologies of its type in the world.
The concept is of destroying tumours inside the body with an accuracy of blade of knife, almost like cutting it out but using a non-invasive method.
- Allows delivery of radiation therapy to the region of abnormality with unprecedented submillimetre accuracy
- SRS uses multiple beams of radiation that all converge on a single point, but around that spot, there is not a lot of radiation, so the damage is really towards the tumour.
- SRS or SBRT delivers one to five stereotactic radiation treatments to tumours within brain, spine and also elsewhere in the body
- All inoperable tumours and patients who are not fit for surgery can still be cured with this high dose of ablative radiation treatments
- 4-dimensional cone beam CT scanner mounted to treatment machine assists to accurately delineate tumours which move during the treatment time.
Symmetry planning software is a new approach to the treatment of thoracic tumours. It aids to reduce margins by unique automatically correlated 4D image guidance. It gives volumetric visualization of respiratory motion and enables radiation oncologists to reduce margins and increase the dose without compromising the safety. It also helps to deliver ‘plan of the day’ customizing to the tumour movement.
6-dimensional couch allows delivery of this state-of-the-art treatment with unprecedented accuracy.