Dr. Bala Stalin Chowdary is a Chief Medical Oncologist at the Mahatma Gandhi Cancer Hospital & Research Institute, Visakhapatnam. He has over 10+ years of experience in the Consultation of Medical Oncology.
He worked as
- Assistant professor in Medical Oncology at NIMS, Hyderabad from 2016 to 2021
- Associate Professor at Nizam`s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad from 2021 to 2023
Area(s) of Interest:
- Myeloma and Plasma Cell Disorders
- Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer and GI malignancies
- Biological Therapy include
- Targeted Therapy
- CAR T-Cell Therapy
- Bone marrow transplantation
Education & Training
Name of Institute(s):
- DM (Medical Oncology) from Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad, India
- MD (Internal Medicine) from Kakatiya Medical college, Warangal
- MBBS from Siddhartha Medical College, Vijayawada
- Passed Diplomate of National Board, DNB Medical Oncology Examination
- European Society of medical oncology recertification examination in 2021
- Passed the specialty certificate examination in Medical Oncology by MRCP (UK) in 2019
- Cleared Professional diploma in clinical research and advanced course in scientific writing certification exams
- European Society of Medical Oncology Certification Examination in 2015
- Completed the antimicrobial stewardship course by WHO
- Observership in Hematological malignancies at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota-Nov-Dec 2022
- Awarded a 4-week ICMLF preceptorship course on Chronic Myeloid Leukemia and attended Preceptorship at the City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Centre under Prof David Snyder in October 2019
- Awarded and attended Preceptorships on Prostate Cancer, Lung Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, and Kidney Cancer in Singapore by the European Society of Medical Oncology
- Best teacher award (Young Teacher category) by Telangana State Government on September 5, 2019
- Best Resident Award given at Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences on August 15, 2015
- 8 College Gold Medals during MBBS with 74.8% and got 64 rank in AP State postgraduate Entrance in 2010.
- University second rank in MD (Internal Medicine)
- Got best paper award (Cash award) in APPICON 2014 in CVS & GIT papers session.
- Best Oral presentation at the ISMPO held in 2015 at Mumbai.
- Bala S, Gundeti S, Linga VG, Maddali LS, Digumarti RR, Uppin SG, Clinicopathological features and outcomes in advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer with tailored therapy. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol 2016; 37:242-50.
- Yedla RP, Bala SC, Pydi VR, Kuruva SP, Chennamaneni R, Konatam ML, Paul TR, Gundeti S. Outcomes in Adult Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia: A Decade Experience. Clinical Lymphoma Myeloma and Leukemia 2020 Apr 1: 20(4): e158-64.
- Pydi VR, Bala SC, Kuruva SP, Chennamaneni R, Konatam ML, Gundeti S. Multiple Myeloma in Young Adults: A Single Centre Real World Experience. Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion. 2021 Feb 27:1-5
- Puligundia CK, Bala S, Kamam AK, Gundeti S, Paul TR, Uppin MS, Maddali LS. Clinicopathological features and outcomes in primary central nervous system lymphoma: A 10-year Experience. Indian journal of medical and paediatric oncology: official Journal of Indian Society of Medical & Paediatric Oncology. 2017 Oct; 38(4):478.
- Kuruva SP, Bala S, Konatam ML, Karnam AK, Maddali LS, Gundeti S. Clinicopathological features, treatment and survival outcomes of synovial sarcoma. South Asian Journal of Cancer 2018 Oct 1; 7(4):270.
- Chennamaneni R, Gundeti S, Konatam ML, Bala S, Kumar A, Srinivas L. Impact of cytogenetics on outcomes in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia. South Asian journal of cancer. 2018 Oct; 7(4):263.
- Palukuri NR, Yedla RP, Bala SC, Kuruva SP, Chennamaneni R, Konatam ML, Gundeti S. Incidence of febrile neutropenia with commonly used chemotherapy regimen in localized breast cancer. South Asian journal of cancer. 2020 Jan;9(1):4.
- Chaitanya PK, Kumar KA, Stalin B, Sadashivudu G, Srinivas ML. The role of mutation testing in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase after imatinib failure and their outcomes after treatment modification: single- Institutional experience over 13 years. Indian journal of medical and paediatric oncology: official Journal of Indian Society of Medical & Paediatric Oncology. 2017 Jul; 38(3):328
- Adusumilli P, Konatam ML, Gundeti S, Bala S, Maddali LS. Treatment challenges and survival analysis of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2- positive breast cancer in real world. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol 2017; 38:22-7.
- Chintalapani SR. Bala S, Konatam ML, Gundeti S, Kuruva SP, Hui M. Triple- negative breast cancer: Pattern of recurrence and survival outcomes. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. 2019 Jan 1:40(1):67.
- Danthala M, Gundeti S, Kuruva SP, Puligundia KC, Adusumilli P, Karnam AP Bala S, Konatam ML, Maddali LS, Digumarti RR. Generic Imatinib in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia; Survival of the Cheapest. Clinical Lymphoma Myeloma and Leukemia. 2017 May 10
- Narahari NK. Uppin SG, Kapoor A, Stalin BJ, Paramjyothi GK. Invasive mucinous adenocarcinoma of the lung in a 19-year-old female, Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals. 2018 Sep 30:0218492318804951.
- Chennamaneni R, Bala S, Gundeti S, Lakshmi M. Atypical presentation of chronic myeloid leukemia with visual disturbance. Journal of Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences. 2018 Jan 1; 7(1):74.
- Hui M, Uppin SG, Stalin BJ, Sadashivudu G. Histological transformation of adenocarcinoma to small cell carcinoma lung as a rare mechanism of resistance to epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors: Report of a case with review of the literature. Lung India: Official Organ of Indian Chest Society. 2018 Mar, 35(2):160.
- Yedla RP, Bala S, Uppin MS, Gundeti S. Unusual cause of intestinal perforation during induction chemotherapy in acute myeloid leukemia. Journal of Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences. 2019 Jul 1:8(3):215.
- Ambalath RC, Konatam ML, Bala S. Gundeti S. Recurrent choroid plexus carcinoma, Journal of Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences. 2019 Oct 1: 8(4):286.
- Bala S, Prasad SK. Antibody drug conjugates. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. 2020 Nov 1: 41(6):889.
- Parigi M, Hui M, Uppin SG, Kapoor A, Kumar NN, Bhaskar K, Stalin BJ, Sadashivudu G, Paramjyothi GK. Percutaneous core needle biopsy in the diagnosis of lung lesions: An experience on 280 consecutive cases from a university hospital in southern India. Lung India. 2021 Jan 1: 38(1):41.
- Prasad KS, Bala S, Ravichandran A, Sadashivudu G. Secondary osteosarcoma of pelvic bone: Long-term complication of bladder cancer radiotherapy. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. 2019 Oct 1;40(4):579.
- Thamtam VK, Uppin SG, Hui M, Kumar NN, Bhaskar K, Bala SC, Sadashivudu G, Paramjyothi GK. Validation of superiority of p40 over p63 in differentiating squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma lung. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology 2020 Jul 1: 41(4):535.
- Prasad S, Bala S, Chennamaneni R, Lakshmi KM, Sadashivudu G. Chronic myeloid leukemia in mother and son: What are the odds? Pediatric blood & cancer. 2019 Aug; 66(8): e27772.
- Ambalathandi R. C. Kuruva S. P, Chennamaneni R, Bala S, Konatam M. L, Gundeti S. Outcomes of Adult Ewing Sarcoma Treated with Multimodality Therapy: A Single Institute Experience. South Asian J Cancer 2021; 9(4):191- 194.
- Trastuzumab-related cardiotoxicity in adjuvant setting: A real-world scenario (Accepted for publication in SAJC)
- Complications during induction chemotherapy in acute promyelocytic leukemia: an institutional experience (Accepted for publication in SAJC)- Corresponding author
- Member of the European Hematology Association
- European society of medical oncology
- European Society of gynecological oncology
- European Society of cancer research
- Indian Cooperative oncology network
- Indian Society of Medical and Pediatric Oncology
- Mumbai Hematology Group
- Asian Nutrition Society