Dr. Chandrasekhar Bendi is a Clinical Hematologist, Hemato Oncologist, and Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Physician at the Mahatma Gandhi Cancer Hospital & Research Institute, Visakhapatnam. He has over 9 years of extensive experience in treating Benign and Malignant Hematological conditions like Anemia, Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Anemia ITP, Leukemia, Acute Myeloid Leukemia, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, Lymphoma, Myeloma, and Bone Marrow Transplantation. He successfully managed more than 5000+ complex Hematological Cases in his career so far. His experience in Bone Marrow Transplantation includes Matched Sibling, Unrelated Donor, and Haplo-Identical Donors (Both PTCy and Alpha Beta Depleted Grafts) Transplantation for Aplastic Anaemia, Leukemia, Lymphomas, Multiple Myelomas, Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Anemia, Host of Immunodeficiency Disorders and Advanced Pediatric Solid Tumors.
Dr. Chandrasekhar Bendi is Affiliated with the following
- Clinical Observership at the Department of Clinical Hematology and Stem Cell Transplantation, Christian Medical College(CMC), Vellore.
- Senior Residency at the Department of Clinical Hematology and Stem Cell Transplantation, Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), Hyderabad.
Area(s) of Interest
- Bone marrow/ Hematopoietic StemCell Transplantation
- Managing Acute Leukemia Lymphoma and Multiple Myeloma
- Treating benign (Non-cancerous)blood disorders like ITP, Thalassemia, and Sickle Cell Anemia
- Cell Therapy (CATR cell and Gene therapy)
Treatment(s)/ Procedure(s) Performed
- Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy
- Bone Marrow Transplantation includes Matched Siblings, Unrelated Donor, and Haplo-Identical Donors (Both PTCy and Alpha Beta Depleted Grafts) Transplantation for Aplastic Anaemia, Leukemia, Lymphomas, Multiple Myelomas, Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Anemia, Host of Immunodeficiency Disorders and Advanced Pediatric Solid Tumors.
Treatment(s)/ Procedure(s) offered
- Benign Hematology
- Malignant Hematology
- Autologous Bone Marrow/ Stem Cell Transplant
- Allogeneic Bone Marrow/ Stem Cell Transplant
- Haploidentical (half match) Transplant
- Unrelated (MUD) Transplant
Number of cases of Hematology, Hemato-Oncology, and BMT Performed by Dr. Chandrasekhar Bendi from 2014
Includes more than 100+ Bone Marrow Transplants.
Education & Training
Name of Institute(s)
- DNB (Hematology) from Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bangalore, ( NATBOARD, Delhi)
- MD in NIMS, Hyderabad
- MBBS from Andhra Medical College
- DNB(Super Specialty) in Clinical Hematology, from Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bangalore.
- Clinical Fellow in Dept of Hematology & BMT at CMC, Vellore.
- Senior Registrar, Dept of Clinical Hematology & BMT, NIMS, Hyderabad.
- Diagnostic utility in the Open or Closed Nuclear Membrane.
- Chandrasekhar B , Karuna Kumar K , Radhika K , Ganesh RN , Prayaga AK ,. ActaCytol. 2010 Sep-Oct;54(5 Suppl):1063-5.
- Comparison of Fine needle aspiration cytology and histopathology in the diagnosis of neck masses.
- G.G. Swamy, B. Chandrasekhar, S. Madhuraani. International Journal of recent Trends and Technology, ISSN 2277-2812 E-ISSN 2249-810, Volume 6, Issue 1, 2013 pp 13-16
- Quantification of liver iron overload: Liver tissue biopsy vs T2* MRI in Thalassemia Patients undergoing Transplant (Under process)
- Immune recovery in Bone Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation (Under process)
Professional Achievements & Membership
- Performed first-ever Allogeneic stem cell/Bone marrow transplantation in the newly formed state of Andhra Pradesh, India
- Initiated a state-of-the-art advanced Hematology Center along with a Bone marrow/Stem cell transplant facility at MGCH&RI, Visakhapatnam, which is the first of its kind in the state of Andhra Pradesh
- Performed first-ever Unrelated donor transplant(MUD) in Andhra Pradesh
- Treated more than 5000 complicated Blood Cancer Cases
- European Hematology Association (EHA)
- Member of Indian Society for Hematology & Transfusion Medicine.
- Indian Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (ISBMT)
- Indian Medical Association
- American Society for Hematology(ASH)
Breakthrough Case(s) & Testimonial(s)
- 1st successful Allergic Stem Cell Transplantation in the state of Andhra Pradesh in 2019 for a case of Aplastic Anemia
- Performed first ever successful Unrelated Donor Transplant (MUD) in the state of Andhra Pradesh in 2022 for a case at FANCONI Anemia.
- Many Haplo – Identical Stem Cell Transplants for Blood Cancers, Aplastic Anemia, and Thalassemia.