Mahatma Gandhi Cancer Hospital & Research Institute is glad to announce the initiation of Radionuclide Therapy facility, for the first time in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
- Very specific target binding of the pharmaceuticals
- Delivering large doses of radiation to the target tissue
- Very minimal radiation to the normal tissues
- Very minimal side-effect profile
- Significant improvement in quality of life and survival of patients
Iodine-131 Therapy is an established modality for management of Thyroid Cancer. It has been used for well differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma both Papillary and Follicular types for
- Remnant Ablation,
- Ablation of Lymphnodal or Local Residual Disease
- Adjuvant treatment of Distant Metastases
- Metastatic Carcinoid and Neuroendocrine Tumors
- Metastatic Pheochromocytoma and Paraganglioma
- Metastatic Neuroblastoma
- Inoperable Meningiomas
Prostate Specific Membrane Antigen (PSMA) is a Type || Transmembrane Protein expressed on cell surface and normally found in prostate gland, jejunum, salivary glands and kidneys. It is over expressed in Adeno Carcinoma of the Prostate.
Targeted Therapy with 177 Lu PSMA is effective in controlling Metastatic Hormone Resistant Prostate Carcinoma.
In patients with inoperable Hepatocellular Carcinoma including those with Portal Vein Thrombosis, Radionuclide Therapy with
- Labeled Lipiodal (131 Iodine or 188 Rhenium)
- Labeled Glass/Resin Bead Particles (Yttrium 90)
Palliation of intractable pain from Metastatic Disease in patients with Osteoblastic Metastases such as Breast Cancer or Prostate cancer can be effectively done with intravenous injection of Radionuclides such as 153Samarium-EDTMP or Phosphorus-32.
Grave’s Disease / Autonomous Functioning Thyroid Nodule:
- 131-Iodine is a very effective treatment for Grave’s disease and AFTN and reducing size of Multi Nodular Goiter prior to surgery
- Injection of Radionulides into the joints results in slowing down of disease progression and drastic improvement of pain in patients with Inflammatory Arthritis and is indicated in
- Refractory Painful Inflammatory Arthritis such as Rheumatoid Arthritis and other Spondyloarthritidis
- Hemophilic Arthritis
- Pigmented Villinodular Synovitis
- Persistent Effusion after Joint Prosthesis
- Undifferentiated Arthritis (where the Arthritis is characterized by Synovitis, Synovial Thickening or Effusion)